27 July 2015

Perspectives on Starting Work

This week is pretty important.

On Wednesday I start my first proper job, and it would be an understatement to say that I am nervous. Having had my traineeship position secured for over a year and a half, I've gone through periods when I've not had to think about it much. Now, with just a couple more sleeps until I slip on my first suit in anger, it's pretty much all I'm thinking about. Getting to sleep hasn't been the easiest of tasks recently.

But if nervous energy is what's keeping me up at night then the equal and opposite feeling of excitement is what is getting me up in the morning. This is what I have been working towards for the last five years and now that it's finally here I can't wait to get started.

Over my years of blogging I have tried to make profound pronouncements on major life events - or at least the ones I have been through. Sadly for me and my grasp of the English language there is only so much you can say about exams and Valentine's Day. I might even have been misusing the word 'major' - and maybe 'event'.

Now I've got something to give a proper perspective on; something to talk about in the 'real world' that young people are told so much about.

And so I have arrived, via a cobbled splurge, at my perspectives on starting work. I haven't thought about these in too much detail prior to writing this post, but moments of clarity (there's that word again!) recently give me enough confidence to see what happens.
  1. If university prepares you for one thing then it's to be prepared to be unprepared. I'm comfortable with not knowing everything as I take my first steps as a trainee solicitor this week. Coming to terms with that was tricky but it's a good feeling when you make it there.
  2. There is always someone else feeling just like you. Universities mass produce graduates and some of them get jobs. Of those who do, some are doing the same job as you. Of those who are, some will be worried about starting. There is nothing more comforting than knowing you're not alone. You're not, even if it's just me you've got for company.
  3. In a similar vein, talking to people helps. Shared experiences - a phrase I've used before - are valuable things to draw on. Listen to what other people think and feel. At the very least helps give you a little bit head-space before you deal with your own challenges again.
  4. Taking yourself seriously is counter-productive. I spent last week getting worked up about about starting my job - little things like how I'm going to look, talk, walk etc. Then my (refreshingly honest) girlfriend helped me see that it's just not worth sweating the little things - including sweating. I'm going to go to my firm on Wednesday and work hard and do what's asked of me - that's all that matters just now.
  5. Don't eat yellow snow - that never changes.
Just some thoughts from someone who otherwise doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I'm sure there will be lists and sub-lists to add as I progress but those 5 (OK, maybe 4) points give a good idea of what is going on just now in this head of mine.
 
Exciting, huh?
 
So that's that. I knew if I didn't do this tonight I probably never would. I did go to Hamburg and Arran after Whitby, but this had to be done. I'll get around to those posts eventually - otherwise what would have been the point in the make-over?
 
Thanks for reading and wish me luck!