29 June 2015

Summer 2015 - My First Trip to Whitby

So here it is: my final summer. Ok, so that might be a bit of an exaggeration but after the next month or so my summers will be reduced to whatever time I take off work. Gone now are the four month breaks, the wasted weeks and the comforting thought of starting the same thing all over again in September. The start of my graduate job next month is fast approaching so making the most of this summer is important.

The first big thing that this summer had to hold was a trip away with my girlfriend - our first proper trip away together no less. Our destination was Whitby in England and the four days we spent there were just brilliant.

 
Our journey there was a slightly convoluted one, with two changes and three (very different) train journeys. Despite a relatively tight change in Middlesbrough we made it safely to our destination after coming through some wonderful countryside. Greeted by a cacophony of seagull calls and the rich smell of fish and chips as we stepped off the train, it was clear we were in the right place.

The first thing that struck me was that we lowered the average age of Whitby quite dramatically. I couldn't help but feel some guilt as I effortlessly carried the luggage from the train to a nearby cafe, while an elderly gentleman by the name of George had his chin wiped by a domineering care-worker. I don't look forward to the day when I am asked every two seconds if I need to use the toilet. I therefore resolved to make the most of being in the top two most sprightly people in what, at first sight, looked like one of the most attractive places I have ever visited in the UK.

First impressions are, of course, important because as we explored Whitby's little streets and gorgeous scenery, it was clear than mine was spot on. I warned my better half that I have a habit of falling in love with the places I visit on my travels - you only have to scroll through this blog to find that out. I was to be proved correct as well because as we reluctantly boarded our first train on the reverse journey a few days later, I was feeling a little smitten with Whitby's wiles.

The main thing that struck me about Whitby is how diverse it is. On the one hand it has everything you could want from the archetypal seaside town - pretty harbour, fish, sailing boats and a welcome slice of tackiness provided by 'Funland'. However, when you step away from the waterside you are transported into a magical world of little winding streets, cafes and sweet shops. My girlfriend's comparison with Diagon Alley of Harry Potter fame is perfect. Up on the hill is a row of houses which could so easily be from Kensington in London - eclectic indeed.

Then there is the majesty and mystery of Whitby Abbey, which provides the back-drop the whole town and, of course, to Bram Stoker's Dracula. We must have viewed the ruins and their surrounds from every angle, but never did I feel that the Abbey lost any of its attraction.


Speaking of Dracula, one of the highlights of our week was our visit  to the Dracula Experience - and an 'experience' it was. We paid our £3, jumped out of our skins (not necessarily for the right reasons) twice and were then turfed out the back door into the street which I am sure also had the delivery entrance to the local Poundland. The bad reviews on Trip Advisor were what attracted us there in the first place - our sense of humour dictates this - but we should have been warned after having our money taken by a man slumped in his chair wearing a replica Arsenal strip. I'm almost certain that same person was the one who jumped out at us towards the end of our 5 minute ordeal - at least he made the effort of wearing a cloak and putting down whatever he was smoking.

If that was a highlight for all the wrong reasons, our walk along the coast to Robin Hood's Bay was a highlight for all the right reasons. We got the best weather of the week for our two and a half hour walk and we were greeted by the most charming little town when we arrived. For me there are few better things to do in the UK than spending the day outdoors on the coast. That I got to share that on our first trip away together, I guess, was what made this part of the trip so special.

This view along the coast is just one of the views which, along with the many climbs, took my breath away.

And I suppose that is the word I would use about our time in Whitby: special. It was special because we found out that we like to do the same things when we are on holiday; we found out new things about each other; we found humour in funny places; and we found that golden syrup filled cereal is, well, sweet.

As we stood at the top of the famous 199 steps one night I knew that I was happy - and that's not something I have always let myself be. I will never forget my first trip to Whitby. I will be back. We will be back.


Thanks for reading.