3 June 2015

Who's Still Working on His Masterpiece? - My 'Favourite' Song

Back to basics.

The only thing more tiring than doing something is not doing it. If that is true, then I am on my knees from not writing any blog posts. Having now seen off university for the final time and dealt with 'grown up' responsibilities for the time being, I've run out of excuses for not writing. I guess, therefore, it is time to get back up on my feet again.

I've decided to break myself back in softly. Rule #1 for dealing with writer's block is to pick something you love and write about it. I was listening to music earlier; I love music; let's write. The flow was uncontrollable - just.

In my own inimitable style I've actually picked something stupid to write about. I would be doing you a disservice if I gave you the impression that the song I'm going to write about is always my favourite. It is, however, one that always springs to mind when I'm asked to choose.

The song in question (a whole three paragraphs and an attempt at a poignant short sentence later) is 'The Great Intoxication' by David Byrne. Listen to it before you read on - that's an order.


Did you listen? If not you will be 'Byrne-d at the stake'. I could have linked the studio version but one of the best parts of listening to David Byrne is watching him as well. He is awesome live (having had that experience twice) and he makes Dad dancing appropriate. In short, he is one of my heroes. Maybe I'm getting carried away?

Talking about Dads, it was my own who introduced me to David Byrne when I was a nipper. My Dad was (and indeed continues to be) a huge fan of the band he was lead singer of - namely Talking Heads, who were popular in the 70s and 80s. As with exposing me to the work of Elvis Costello, I will forever be in debt to my Dad for playing Byrne's music when I was at my most sponge-like age. He's not the best singer in the world and he's probably the worst dancer, but he writes good songs and always makes me want to shake my hips - the combination is lethal.

And so to my 'favourite' song. It is from Byrne's 2001 solo album, 'Look Into the Eyeball' which is probably also one of my favourite albums - note 'one of'. If I was to describe it in three words (which is ironically the number of words I know) then I would say it is an introspective love song. Byrne says that he wrote it as a note from one of his close friends to that friend's girlfriend - get the abacus out for that one! He also admits that there is much of his own emotion in the song as well.

I have always loved the song, but it wasn't until recently that I realise what the 'great intoxication' actually is. I will let you work that out for yourself but when I returned to the song after a break from listening to Byrne I realised that much of what he says in it resonates with me now. One line in particular stands out: "Everyday he wonders what the hell she sees in me". 

Disclaimer: there are no prizes for working it out.

So with that little ditty I have made at least some effort to start blogging again. It must be boring for you to read the same opening and closing every time I post - for that I apologise. On the other hand, where's the romance in knowing what is going to happen next?

Thanks for reading,

Martin